Mold can be damaging to the health of your family, and children do spend the majority of their early life indoors. That’s why mold in your home can be especially damaging to the health of young children. Related complications are now increasing at an alarming rate. Mycotoxins, which is produced from toxic black mold can be particularly harmful. What are some symptoms and effects of exposure?

What Are Symptoms of Mold Exposure?

The most obvious symptom are respiratory problems. If your child already has asthma, mold spores can exacerbate it and trigger more frequent attacks. If that’s not bad enough, of the estimated 7 million diagnosed with asthma, 21% of that is attributed from mold exposure, so says Dr. Tim Jackson. Not only does mold cause complications with respiratory illnesses but it known to cause skin irritations and itchy watery eyes. This can lead to larger vision problems caused by mycotoxins.

This can all lead to more serious conditions where Internal organs can be affected. The effects can result in a number of circulatory and vascular issues.

Mycotoxins have the ability to kill neurons in the brain causing neurological symptoms including dizziness, headaches, memory loss, tremors, anxiety and depression. These are some serious long-term symptoms and quite worrisome to parents. It has been discovered that children living in mold-contaminated environments for long periods of time may have fewer IQ points than those who don’t.

Included in this list of effects are chronic fatigue, weakness, aches and pains, recurring episodes of flu and colds, ear infections and/or impaired hearing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and hair loss. Children have sensitive systems and skin and lungs, along with development and performance, will be affected by mycotoxins which can rob them of essential vitamins and nutrients.

Prevention is the best way to help keep mold away from children. Also, you do not have to have it in the house to have issues. Mold in bath toys and sippy cups is common without proper cleaning procedures. So, if you think your young child has ingested mold, or of your child is experiencing abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting after you discover mold in their sippy cup, it is suggested to see a doctor.

What About Your Pets?

The effects of mold on humans and young children are well known, but the danger it poses to pets was only recognized recently. Findings indicate that household mold affects pets even more virulently than humans. This list indicates dogs, cats, and other small animals are more susceptible to mold-related illness than people because they have a less advanced immune system.
Either be through inhalation, ingestion or an allergic reaction there are many things to be aware of and look out for. They include respiratory distress (difficult or rapid breathing), nasal discharge, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, lethargy and in severe cases, bleeding from the nose and/or mouth.

If mold has been ingested it involves the gastrointestinal tract and can produce symptoms of loss of appetite, vomiting and stool changes. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to mold also includes scratching, chewing or biting at itchy areas of the body that can progress to skin sores and fur loss.

A good way to protect your family pet is to develop the habit of keeping anything your pet comes in contact with clean and dry. You should keep pet food in a sealed container in a cold, dry area. Wash food and water bowls at least once a day and try to keep plastic dishes away. Launder your pet’s bedding frequently, and immediately if it becomes damp and wash pet toys.